Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sports Nut

Whenever anyone asks me what I do, I like to say "play sports!" Usually they are referring to what job I have. I tend to think that my job is just how I support my sports habits. And when it comes to sports, I'm not picky, I'll play anything. I'm not a great player in any sport. But I tend to be competitive no matter what I play, or who I play with. Whether they are bigger, or faster, or have more endurance, I still don't look out of place.
I will usually play Soccer first, because I know how to play the game at a high level, even if my body won't always produce that well. I like Ultimate Frisbee because I can use my anticipation and intelligent in a strong defensive mode, while picking strategic spots for offensive maneuvers. I like Baseball because I have a team to play on, Volleyball because I react quickly, and Football because I like to hit people.
I like to play Golf because when I was seven, my neighbors gave me a junior set and my Dad took me to the driving range, and golf course. Every year he would take me along for a round, and for the Church tournament, I got to be his caddy. Over the years I finally moved one of his old sets and started to play a couple times a year. I even started to hit the ball a little farther, till I eventually could out drive my Dad. I still don't play a great game, but I enjoy myself. The reason, because it's my Dad's favorite game, and he let me play with him.
Dad, thanks for all the pointers over the years. For teaching me how to hold the club, for all the times you reminded me to keep my head down, and for showing me how to play as a gentleman. Thanks for all the rounds you've paid for, the hot dogs and drinks, and the clubs you gave me. Thanks for the visits we've had, for including me in your game, and for letting me win. I like Golf because you included me in your tradition.


Happy Birthday Dad.

1 Comments:

At 4:58 pm , Blogger Nadine said...

hey there, so basically i hope your are having a lovely day, and that you are doing great. i love ya greg, and i miss ya...can't wait to see ya soon!!
nadine

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home