Thursday, October 12, 2006

Year in Review

My 29th. year has come to a close. It has been a very interesting year. Quite event full, and not all good.
It started around this time 2005, when I had to quit playing hockey because my knees were not holding up. I ended up playing only 5-6 games last year because of it. Instead I took the H&R Block Income Tax course through the fall, and into winter. November saw me make a trip out to BC for my cousin Will's wedding. He and Jenna were married and are fast approaching one year now. For the second year in a row I stayed here in Winnipeg for Christmas.
Shortly into 2006 I started working at H&R Block as well as my regular job with Display Fixtures. I was working 60-70 hours every week, and barely survived. My voice actually died out at one point and I had to take a day off to recover. At one point I had worked over 35 straight days. But it was a good experience and I'm currently taken the second year course in order to do it again this coming year.
Easter weekend was memorable for all the wrong reasons. On the Saturday night I came home late, and decided to go for a walk. It was a beautiful night and even though it was 2am, I felt I needed to experience it. As I was just on my way back to my house, a guy came up to me trying to sell me drugs or something. I said I wasn't interested and started to walk away. He asked again and when I turned him down, I felt something hit my head. The next thing I knew, I was lying on the ground, missing my wallet and three teeth. I was also covered in blood for head to toe. Judging by the gouge in the back of head, it appeared that he used a crowbar, or something like it. I made my way home, to call for help. The police told me they were busy and that I should call back in the morning. Not knowing any better, I cleaned myself off and went to sleep.
In the morning I called a friend to take me to the hospital. After a few hours waiting I finally was seen, and had two teeth extracted and needed plastic surgery to repair the damage to the back of my head. I'm currently still working on the repairs, but it should be only another 5-6 months. For now I can scare people by taking my teeth out. Well, two of them at least.
Summer saw me back on the baseball field. I was the regular pitcher this year for Jubilee, and we played in the top division of the Christian men's Slow-pitch league. We ended up like 3rd or 4th, and I had a productive year. I also regularly played Ultimate Frisbee, and feel that I've developed my skill well, and have really enjoyed playing the game. Currently I'm started Indoor Soccer, which I have never played, and I haven't been on a soccer team in over ten years, back in College.
But it has been a good year, despite the traumatic experience, and I've grown through it all. I'm looking forward to the upcoming soccer season, a trip to BC for Christmas, being joined by the whole family, and anticipating the many other experiences on the way.

1 Comments:

At 3:32 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy happy happy happy happy happy birthday!!! i love you SO much!! i appriciate you SO much!! i want you to know that i'm always here for you throughout everything!!

<3 Nadine <3

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home