Friday, April 09, 2010

I have a working basement, and it looks Awesome!

At the beginning of February, we got the approval to start the renovations in our basement, so we contacted Alex, my old roommate to plumbing, and Henry to be our contractor.
Then we emptied the basement and they could start to work.



The first thing Alex and I had to do was sledgehammer away the existing Laundry tub. It was made of concrete and cemented to the wall and into the floor.



Meanwhile the contractor's guys jackhammered a line for where we could run our underground piping.

And I dug the dirt out, in some spots about 4 feet down.



Alex and I then started laying the piping for the drainage for the new shower, sink, and toilet.
The wood arrived, brought by a deaf mute driver, so communicating with him was interesting, but I liked his solution to not having room to park.

I filled the dirt back into the trench, and the guys came to lay the cement.


And the material for the floors and walls was ready to be installed.

My old Baseball teammates from Jubilee, Harry and Dan, were the ones who came to do the floors and walls.




Then we ran the rough piping in for the drainage, and tied it in to the upstairs for the fan, and ran a line for the washing machine.



Then they came and insulated the walls.


Alex installed the shower base, and the guys put in the drywall.



Meanwhile Danielle found the best cookies ever. Oreo's rock!

Take that Ottawa!




Then Danielle and I could start priming and painting.







But Danielle could only come in during the day, because she spent three weeks on a farm in Grunthal, cow sitting for her friends while they went to Europe for their honeymoon. I went to visit a few times, but wasn't that helpful with the milking. I mostly just tried to stay out of the way.






We had a marble shower wall installed, very nice!


Uncle Steve and I replaced the upstairs toilet with a new low flow unit.
And now the outhouse was ready for use.
And our first Wedding present arrived, thank you Uncle Paul and Aunt Marie. Unfortunately, my Grandpa is not around for us to find out if it's "Okay" to open it already.

The flooring finally arrived, and the boys could put the finishing touches on the basement.



Including the secret passageway.





And now the basement is ready for action!


4 Comments:

At 5:19 pm , Blogger tomandlynette said...

Looks awesome, Greg! We're looking forward to spending time there soon. Now you can get your laundry done!

 
At 6:09 pm , Blogger Nadine said...

I'm so excited to see this all so soon! Yay!

 
At 4:03 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! What a lot of work you did! I'm excited to see it

 
At 6:32 pm , Blogger Kirsten said...

Wow Greg! That is incredible. I can't wait to see it in person. Great BLOG!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home