Sunday, November 30, 2008

A year of change

This weekend marks the anniversary of me getting possession of my house. It's been a great experience being a home owner. Knowing it's my place, and all the decisions are dictated completely by my preferences has been very rewarding. But looking back, it's been a very good year for a number of reasons. Interestingly two of the changes that occurred were not planned, but somewhat forced. First was my car getting written off, forcing me to buy the Civic. I've been very happy with the new car, and am glad for the upgrade. Secondly was the announcement that the company I had been working at was shutting down. The good parts that resulted from that, were that I found another job right away, which also resulted in me being able to take the money I got from my package and start putting it away for the future.

I managed to use the car, and the time between the jobs to get a visit in BC. I'm very thankful for every chance I get to see my family. Then I managed to sneak an extra visit a couple weeks ago. I drove a car out for my Uncle, and managed to surprise my Mom and my little sister Nadine. It was also a great time to reconnect with family. I even managed to see my cousin Nina in Kamloops, after we figured maybe 15 years.

The biggest change that has occurred started October the 4th. That night I went out with a friend from Soccer, Bryan. We started with a team windup. After the team left, we went to meet some of his friends for a bachelor party. The group was at a bar called Coyote's, so we caught up with them there. We ended up staying there for the rest of the night, and Bryan's friend Mark had invited some of his friends as well. That's when I met Danielle. We talked a little, then danced together. At the end of the night I asked for her number, and when I called later, we agreed to meet for supper on the 9th. We kept seeing each other regularly, and on November 1st she became my girlfriend.

It's now been a month since then, and it gets better all the time. We spend a lot of time together, and I'm more happy with our relationship that I expected. She has no problem hanging out with my friends. She understands my weird and sometimes twisted sense of humour. Amazingly even in writing, not just in person. Most people I've had to be careful with my jokes, but not with Danielle. She's not interested in sports, but hasn't missed any of my soccer games, even when she has to get up early the next morning.


Danielle grew up on a farm. Her parents still live there, about 3.5 hours southwest of Winnipeg. Now she works half the year in landscaping for the University of Manitoba, and when she's laid off from there, she has been working on a Dairy farm just outside the city. It's sometimes a challenge getting together around her schedule, but so far we've made it work. She's supposed to works 12 days on, two off. One week starting at 5am, so she gets up at 3. The other week at 10am, and doesn't finish till 7-8ish, depending on when the work gets done. Then she works every other weekend.


So it's still something I'm getting used to, but being a boyfriend has been a great experience, and I look forward to everything that comes with the territory!

2 Comments:

At 7:38 am , Blogger tomandlynette said...

A pretty good year! It's nice to see pictures of Danielle, I was wondering what she looks like! Hope this next yare is another great one. Love you lots.

 
At 8:35 pm , Blogger Team AC said...

that's great, Greg!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home